Our owner, Melissa Krumbein, took a cake decorating class in the fall of 2010. In December 2010, Melissa needed space to cook and decorate birthday cakes for the family, so she set out looking for space to cook. In the process of discovering that there was no place that would rent space to a consumer, she also discovered a need for a shared kitchen. She was not the only person who needed the space. An idea was born.
In the spring of 2011, Melissa started researching the needs of other people, and looking for space. She found that there was a need from the home-based cake decorating industry to the bakers at the farmers markets, and even larger units—the food trucks needed a place to cook.
In the summer of 2011, she found space, and started the business. She renovated the space at 7801-25 West Broad St, Richmond, in Henrico’s west end. The location was perfect because she was able to be within a 10 mile radius of Wyndam, Mechanicsville, Downtown Richmond, Ashland, Chester and Bon Aire.
If you are out of space, and need to cook, come see us. Get out of your kitchen and into ours.
Cook more. Waste less.
Kitchen Thyme in the media
- Richmond Times Disptach 3-5-12 Biz Buzz
- Restaurateurs turning to kitchen rental – NBC12.com
- Ricmond Magazine Room to Cook
- VIRGINIA THIS MORNING: Kitchen Thyme | WTVR.com CBS 6
- 5 Questions with a Foodie: Melissa Krumbein | Richmond.com
- When you need to cook for a crowd, new kitchen rental business has you covered | Work It, Richmond
- Richmond Magazine Supper Club
- Chefs say regulatory woes won’t halt food truck expansion | Work It, Richmond
- Short Order Style Weekly -Kitchen Thyme is RVA’s culinary laboratory.
- Farmers markets’ off-season wilts away Richmond Biz Sense
- Jewish ‘Soul Food’ Classes and a New Market -Richmond Magazine
- Holiday Digest
Five ideas for a mini taste run of the season. Style Weekly
- My Kitchen Thyme Market opens December 8 from 10-1
- RFM Foodie: “Kitchen Thyme is Tremendous Resource”